Thursday, January 13, 2011

quoth the raven

Iits more than just a bird in his house it has a deeper meaning. I love the use of rhyme scheme and how each stanza ends with nevermore or for evermore. I think the raven is a metaphor for all his sadness rolled into one thing my favorite line in the poem is

and his eyes had all the seeming of a demon that is dreaming and the lamplight over him casts his shadow on the floor and my soul from out that shadow shall be lifted....nevermore

the shadow represents his sadness so he is pretty much saying he will never be happy again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that the raven is something bad within his feelings, but more specifically I think it represents the other people and influences in his life.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
    Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
    But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
    And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Lenore!'
    This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Lenore!'
    Merely this and nothing more.
    -the raven, E. A. Poe.

    nice post. :D

    ReplyDelete