Wednesday, March 2, 2011

R+J=:D+XP



        Now that Im reading the play R+J there is a lot of tarot symbolism for example the story is like the 3 of swords. The part where Romeo kills Tybalt "I am fortunes fool!" represents the wheel of fortune reversed, or the moon. The page where Romeo is in the apothecary is death which means a severe turn of events the part where juliet awakens is  the tower meaning total destruction.
         The modern perspective of Shakespeare tends to abridge the play cutting several things out to make it fit the time period. As with most modernized editions of the performance I don't like this one however it is better than most versions. my quote is "the makeup guru was kidnapped" It states in one sentence what the production was like.
        

1 comment:

  1. Wow! great Idea with the tarot cards! if I would set a card for the part where he first sees Juliet, I would say the lovers. the Lovers DOES NOT REPRESENT LOVE! the symbolism on the traditional card is a man looking at a beautiful, stupid women and a ugly woman who actually loves him. The card represents choosing true love over lust. the man is romeo, the beautiful lady is Rosaline, and the ugly one, although she isn't ugly, is Juliet. Great post! 93

    ReplyDelete